Sunday, August 2, 2015

Quilting and More

I'm finally feeling like my quilts are coming together. Maybe because they literally are.
 
 This one I tried my hand at with the long arm. It turned out so nice. I said lots of prayers before I did it.
 
 I have two quilts completely done, and one needing the binding done. I have five tops left after that. My plan is to quilt at least three this week. I picked up a quilt on Friday. I love all the really sweet, kind, friendly, humble people I am meeting through this project. I am just so touched by all the ways that people help out; big and small.
Anyway, the quilt is spray basted and huge. The lady felt bad that it was so big and not a newer quilt, but she just didn't have time, with a new baby, to make a new one. She really wanted to donate a quilt, and I told her I'd take it. I am now trying to see if I can get some helpers to come help me tie it and bind it. I borrowed a quilting frame from church which should make the job easier to do.
I finally got my polka quilt all done..................thread ripped out, two holes repaired, new batting, and my visiting teacher quilted it together. I love the pattern that she helped me pick out.... hearts and circles. Now I just need to do the binding.


 My two little hearts that I cut and sewed on to fix the hole made by taking out the stitching.


 Here you can better see the pattern of the quilting.

The girls have been working on some new artwork this week.
Aeva got a special package in the mail from Rhaevyn's old violin teacher. He periodical goes to Japan. Knowing how much she loves anything Japanese, he sent her some sweets and two manga books. Needless to say she was in heaven. Between Aeva and her love of anything Japanese, and Rhaevyn starting to learn Korean, we are getting a good education ourselves as their parents in those cultures and music.

 I branched out this week..............digging out of the dinner rut.
I tried a new pulled pork recipe and even made my own BBQ sauce to top the sandwiches with.
I also made some homemade ice cream. The pulled pork turned out really good. It is supposed to be cooked on the grill, but I did it in the crock-pot. I'm glad that it turned out tasty because I hate spending the money on a meal when it turns out terrible. I learned that you can't want the ice cream anytime soon. It takes a long time to freeze in the freezer, but it was a nice Family Home Eveining Treat.

Meg seems to be growing up overnight. It's always bitter sweet, but this time seems even more so since there is not a little baby coming behind her. She is now officially sleeping in her bed at night. I always knew I'd miss having a little one to roll over to and kiss on the cheek, but I think I miss it more than I thought. I know it's a good thing for her to be in her own bed. Also she went potty in the toilet today! Her ritual for months has been to sit on the potty before bathtime. I think she started that because that is what she saw Elsa do. She only sits on it for a milisecond before she is ready to get into the bath. This morning she wanted off and then wanted immediately back on and went. That was pretty exciting. She keeps us entertained with her love for music, dancing, and singing. We love listening to her sing her rendition of Popular (from Wicked) in the car, as well as Best Day of My Life (by Imagine Dragons). The quickest way to get her to stop crying is to put on music and dance with her. And we all love to ask her questions because she answers with a "Ya" in a matter of fact tone.
She was so tired when I took these pictures. She was just relaxing with Chris. 

Despite the 103 degree heat our little tree is going strong and has 7 roses on it.
It is so nice when we are  "having a day" or  "a moment" and turn to look at it and see those beautiful white roses.

No comments: