Friday, August 7, 2015

Quidditch and Quilts and an Outing

Today I sent out my last update on Facebook before I hand the quilts over to the hospital.
This has really been an amazing and bittersweet journey on so many levels.
 This week I finished up three of my own quilts this week plus Rhaevyn's.

Yay! This one is finally done. I think this is Christopher's favorite.
I wish pictures did these quilts justice.............you can't see the stippling pattern on these.
I think this is my favorite because I love the pattern of the material with the little children.

I think Rhaevyn's turned out so nice. She picked out the back and I picked out the binding. It looks whiter in the picture than it really is. It looks like it has little sprigs of baby's breath on the material.


Wednesday I set the big quilt up on the quilt frame. My friend Caressa came and we got the big one tied really fast, which was a good thing. I had several sisters say they were going to come, but only two others ended up coming later. As you can see the quilt took up the entire living room.
It is such a beautiful quilt. I am sure some mom is going to love it.
Rhaevyn's friend, Tanner, and his mom came and helped tie her quilt that evening.


A sweet friend from church is doing binding for me on one of my quilts. The big donated quilt is having the binding done by another sister from the ward. I am glad because I was not sure about tackling it.
I received a call from a sister in another Stake here in Vancouver who saw my project on Just Serve. It's the first call I've gotten from that site. I don't even know her, but we seemed to connect right away over the phone. I love the people I am meeting that I otherwise would not.
This is the bittersweet part. Sweet because I love the many acts of love and kindness I get to witness and the wonderful, loving, and humble people that I meet, and bitter because I will not be bringing home a bouncing healthy baby this month.
I think I have discovered a new love and perhaps a talent in quilting. I have loved going over to my sweet friend's house to use her quilting machine. She keeps saying I'm such a fast learner with the stippling. I told her it's because I have such a wonderful teacher who is so encouraging. She left me alone to do one quilt all by myself the other night. I was panicking, but she said she didn't own anything her husband couldn't fix, so not to worry. I'm happy to say I survived and so did the machine. I was able to unroll, tighten the tension, and even change the bobbin all by myself. Obviously my many little prayers during that time were answered :) I have two more to quilt before she leaves for a month, and then I'm taking a vacation from quilts for a bit, as I've got to get school in order.


I took the kids on an outing. They have been so good and helpful letting me get these quilts done. I know it has not been easy for them. Aeva says she likes it when I make quilts because she knows it helps make me happy, but she also doesn't like it because I cannot multitask while I do it. I get easily flustered if I have five children who need something while I'm sewing. She is very observant.
We went to a new park with a water feature in a little town up the road. We had a nice drive on the country roads, and then we went out to frozen yogurt. It was fun making some memories.

The kids liked standing under these buckets.
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 

I always love seeing what funny pictures the kids have taken with the camera. This was their latest.
I was getting a good giggle from these. Quidditch anyone?
 


 

 
 
 

I took some pictures of Meg and Elsa. I have pictures in my room of each of the kids individually, and then I have pictures of Rhaevyn and Aeva together and Myles and Elsa together. I thought Meg needed a picture with a buddy. Here are pictures of the older girls and the little girls.
 
 



























Rhaevyn was so sweet to do dinner last night while I finished up the last of my four quilts for the week. She made some type of Greek Lemon chicken using a recipe, but also tweaking it a bit. Let me just say  it was positively delicious! We were sad that there wasn't more of it. Chris showed her how to grill it when he got home. At 8:00 last night she had Chris take her up the street to pick blackberries, and she made a yummy cobbler. It was a nice way to finish off the evening :)

I can't believe how August seems to be slipping away...............it's going way to fast!

No comments: