Sunday, March 6, 2016

Marching into March

Well, I didn't complete the two quilts like I was hoping to do this week, but I completed the important one. You might remember that I started this quilt a few months back, but then I had put it aside for a bit.

 
 And now I know why....
I finished it up Monday and took it over to my friend, KeriLyn. She found out the day I got home from the hospital last year, that her baby's heart had stopped. She was 20 weeks along, but her little one had stopped growing at about 13 weeks. We've cried a lot of tears together this past year and have helped buoy one another up by sharing General Conference talks and quotes from General Authorities. She has been heading up two quilt classes for my next quilt donation date and is actually going to go with me to drop them off at the hospital this round. She was super excited about the quilt and those are the colors that she loves. I do think quilts have a way of making it to the people they are supposed to go to.
Last week, the 25th, was a bit rough. It definitely was a day of tears. I had two really sweet friends that checked in on me that day to let me know they were thinking of me. Although they couldn't be here with me, they wanted me to know that I was in their thoughts and prayers, and they were sending me hugs. I was determined that March 2nd would not be a sad day. I wanted it to be a happy day with no tears. So, we decided to have balloons and cupcakes to celebrate the short life of our sweet angel.
The lady at the bakery that I ordered the cupcakes from was super sweet. They normally want 48 hours notice, but they definitely made sure that my order was filled with 24 hours notice. I am sure it helped that it wasn't a huge order. Seven of the cupcakes each had a little white rose on it.




 
 
 Then we each wrote a little note and attached it to a balloon.
 
 
  
My heart was touched by the loving notes each of the kids attached to a balloon.
 
  











 

My little Meg was so sweet to try and shade her eyes to watch the balloons float up and away, and then began waving goodbye.


 

 At this point the balloons were just tiny dots in the sky, northwest of the sun as it started to break through the rain clouds.
 It really did turn out to be a day of joy rather than tears. I'm so thankful to know that families can be together forever.

This past week we had a science/history lesson on the Eastland tragedy and how at least one lady was able to survive. If you'd like to read about it go here:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/hundreds-drown-in-eastland-disaster

Anyway, we did the science experiment, and to make it more real (the second time around) Myles added R2D2 to be the lady who survived in an air pocket. Things got a little crazy when a Lego crocodile entered the scene :)


We've had another blustery week. This is supposed to be the wettest March that we've had since the 40's. Hopefully that makes for a green summer and not a dry one.

I was able to go to the temple Thursday evening with the youth for baptisms and then Friday night for our ward temple night. It was a nice way to spend two evenings. On Friday we carpooled down with a couple (LaReina and Gerald) that we've known for a while. She taught Aeva piano, and their daughter is good friends with Rhaevyn. On the way home we were discussing where all our siblings live. I mentioned that Cullen lives in Nevada. They asked where. I said Virginia City thinking I'd have to explain where that is. It is kind of like when people ask where I am from in California. No one has ever heard of Santa Rosa. Anyway, they got all excited. They had visited there the summer before, and it turns out that LaReina's brother works for the Comstock Mining Company and he knows Clay and Cullen and vice versa. I am always amazed at how small this world is!

Rhaevyn has been working on her drawings. I think they turned out cute.

Aeva has been working on putting her drawings into photos that she has taken on the digital camera. Here is one that she took of the blossoms on the tree in the front yard and added a chibi in one of the blossoms.

I am hoping this week to get to work on Elsa's quilt with her, make a starfish with Myles, and have someone start on the trundle.  
And that's a wrap until next time :)

No comments: