Sunday, March 20, 2016

Heading Home

Another noisy night, and we were all talking about what we liked about this vacation and what we would do different next time.
Time to start our trek home, but first we had to stop at the merry-go-round. Meg has never been on one, so it was a must! In the video you can hear her squeal with delights and say "hi." Aeva was my videographer. She is not a fan of the speed at which merry-go-rounds go. I love how excited kids get on merry-go-rounds. It makes my heart giggle.


 
 
 
 
 
After that we walked up the street to the Seaside Promenade, took a few pictures, bought some salt water taffy, Elsa tried on hats, and we headed up the road to Astoria. 
 
 
In honor of Dr. Who....Fezzes are cool!
 And in honor of Studio C........I introduce you to Elsa the Awkward Avoidance Viking :)
 
 We toured Fort Clatsop (a replica) which is where the Lewis and Clark  Discovery Expedition camped in the winter of 1805.  It was really neat, but I don't think I would have lasted. It was pretty cold and damp. We then hiked a bit on the trail. Elsa and I walked down to where the Expedition got their fresh water. I could hear it before I saw it, and we didn't really get to see it because we were getting attacked by bees. We made a dash up the hill for safety.
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Myles really liked these white flowers, and apparently so did the bugs.
 
 
 Back in the car and up the road for lunch in Astoria and to ride the trolley. We had wanted to ride the trolley last year, but could never seem to find where to catch it. We had to wait a bit this time, but it was worth it. For $1 per person we got to ride it for almost an hour. It goes from one end of  Astoria to the other on the water front. When the trolley gets to the end of the track on either side of town, everyone stands up and flips the back of their seat so they face the other direction for the trip to the other side of town. Pretty cool!
 
 
 

We learned a lot about the buildings and history. By 5pm we were all ready to head home.
We made some wonderful memories on our vacation, but it was nice to get back to our own quiet home and soft, comfy beds! There really is no place like home.

No comments: