Sunday, June 17, 2018

Cello Lesson in the Park and a Surprise

Finals are happening this next week. I feel like June just got here, and now it's almost time to move into July. August is going to be here before I know it.

Myles and his teacher recorded their latest duet at his lesson on Tuesday.
I just couldn't let Aeva not have a seminary graduation picture. My friend, who happens to be the Young Women's President, suggested I contact Aeva's seminary teacher from the previous two years. I did, and Nancy was so excited about the idea. I told Aeva that I needed her to be ready to go when I brought Rhaevyn home from class on Wednesday. Aeva didn't have guitar class that day. She was coming up with all sorts of ideas of what the "surprise" could be. I told her not to get her hopes up too high; we weren't going to the beach. She said I should blindfold her, so I did.

 

 I drove in circles for a bit to disorient her, and then I didn't take off the blindfold until I'd knocked on Nancy's door. Aeva had no idea where she was and was so very surprised when Nancy opened the door. Aeva got to visit with her for a bit. They exchanged phone numbers and plan on commiserating about the same religion class they will be taking. Nancy will be taking hers online though.

The kids had fun picking all the strawberries from our garden this week. They counted 23 in one picking. 


Myles made another trellis for his garden. It's on the miniature side.


 We had the missionaries over for dinner on Friday. Elder Kitsawat is from Thailand, and Elder Packer is from Utah. This is the second time we've had these two for dinner, and the kids absolutely love them. Elsa told them they are the best missionaries we've ever had. I have to agree!
They always leave us with a spiritual thought. They came up with something especially with us in mind. We always put paper down on the table when they come,  so they had us draw out the plan of salvation, assigning each of us something to draw. This was so much fun, and then we discussed what we had drawn.

The missionaries drew the creation:
 Aeva drew earth life:
I think Chris's drawing is self explanatory:
 I had Spirit Prison and Spirit Paradise
 Elsa had final judgement. That is her standing before Heavenly Father:



Rhaevyn and Meg did one together which was the three degrees of glory (with an all you can eat buffet, puppies, and a bouncy house): 

 

 I'm missing Myles's. He had the pre-mortal existence. Chris was being so helpful in cleaning off the table that I didn't get a picture of it before it made it's way into the garbage.  It was a very fun dinner with the missionaries!
Rhaevyn had her last concert for the semester with the college's women's choral ensemble. It was held at the United Methodist Church in Vancouver. The acoustics were wonderful, and the chapel was really pretty. I didn't get Rhaevyn in any of the videos because, being the short person that I am, I couldn't really see her. I have posted links to two of the songs performed.
The first one is Bring Me Little Water Silvy. Rhaevyn spent a lot of time practicing the body percussion for this one. I tried to learn it, but I was in no way successful. 


The second song is poem by Emily Dickinson put to music. 



Myles and Elsa have been entertaining each other by fencing in the front yard.

Oh, we have had some cougar sightings in Battle Ground. One sighting was only two blocks from our house. I have a theory that we had that cougar on our roof a week ago. It sounded like an adult was running across our roof. At first I thought maybe the raccoons, that hang around our neighborhood, had gained a lot of weight. Now I am wondering if perhaps it was the cougar. I know they can jump 18 feet in one bound. The cougar sighting close by was early in the morning, and it was jumping over a fence from a backyard with a small animal in it's mouth. A bit scary!

 UPDATE: There is some debate on whether what was sighted was really a cougar. It isn't being ruled out, but the police and Fish and Wildlife are thinking that perhaps it was just a very large domestic cat.

Trying on sunglasses at Walmart:
 
 
 
 
 Father's Day:

Elsa made scrambled eggs for Chris, Myles made bacon, Meg mixed the pancake ingredients together, and I cooked the pancakes.
 Happy Father's Day, Dear!!!
 Homemade cards for Chris.
 The kids got him a huge tub of Red Vines to share with us and his coworkers.
 Aeva had found this old advertisement and decided to base her Father's Day present for Chris off of that.

Our video footage happened to get deleted instead of uploaded for our last surprise of the day for Chris. Myles blindfolded him and led him out to the driveway, put a  key in his hand, and then took the blindfold off. Yep, we got him a new car!!!! He's been eyeballing and researching Fiats. He was pretty surprised when we took his blindfold off.........................

 After church Aeva had her Personal Progress interview, and Myles had his Priesthood interview. My kids are growing up too fast!


 It was 80 degrees today, super muggy, and windy. We got a sudden storm that blew in with rain and thunder. The sun is out once again now. Molly was basking in the sunshine.


 Myles and Aeva gluing their puzzles together after dinner. I helped to glue Aeva's second puzzle. She wants to get them framed and take at least one with her for her dorm in the fall.

And big news........................the news we have been awaiting..........................
Rhaevyn made it into BYU. She is so excited, we are so excited, and she has so many people who have been thinking positive thoughts and offering up a lot of prayers that this would happen. Chris said it was the best Father's Day present ever!
 

 It's official, we'll now have two kids in Utah this fall. It will certainly be very different to only have three children at home. I am so excited for Rhaevyn and Aeva, but I am going to miss them so much. It is certainly bittersweet for me. It's what I have hoped for them, and I've raised them to be confident and one day spread their wings, but it is so hard to let go when that time comes. It's been my job, my mission, to be the teacher, organizer, coordinator, etc., of five children for 19 years. It is so very hard to imagine having only three children at home.  It's quite an interesting feeling to have one foot in the child rearing stage and one foot in the adult children stage. It's going to take some getting used to for sure.                     

No comments: