Chris took the day off from work on Monday to help drop the girls off at school, their first day, and just be a presence for me as I navigated the new plan. On our way to the college the Radetzky March came on the radio, and I couldn't help but smile as all the kids clapped along and there were squeals of happiness exuding from Meg. We got to the college quite early, but better to be too early than late.
And the good news is...... we all survived relatively well this week despite new routines and new surroundings. The girls like their English class, love their Japanese class, and are surviving their College 101 class. Rhaevyn is really enjoying her swing dancing class.
The kids and I have been hanging out at the five story library downtown, which is two blocks away from the college. After about an hour and a half there we head over to Ft. Vancouver/Officer's Row. We are learning to just roll with the unexpected like:
--the library being closed one day
--learning that all the homeless are still asleep in the library doorway at 9am because the library doesn't open until 10am on Fridays (instead of the 9am Monday-Thursday). So, don't show up before 10am
--Show up half an hour before the library opens if you want a parking spot
--Show up to the college 10 minutes after the girls get out of class because there is no parking available and it is crazy!!
Seeing people who don't' have a home or bed to sleep in each night has been eye opening for the little ones. I must say, while school at the library was not my plan to begin with, so far I am really loving how things are going and have turned out.
We took a walk at the Fort Vancouver gardens Tuesday, walked the middle part of Officer's Row Wednesday, walked the west part of the Ft. Vancouver Park and Veterans of Foreign Wars Memorial Thursday, and walked the west end of Officer's Row Friday. The kids found several painted rocks and re-hid some of them. We haven't managed to get a tour of the Marshall house yet, but are hoping to. We did briefly go in and look around. We visited the visitors center on Friday and played at the playground.
Myles found three rocks. These are two of them.
He re-hid this one:
Here are some pictures of our adventures this week:
The gazebo on the parade grounds....
This is the Ulysses S. Grant house. He was stationed at the fort, but never lived in this particular building. This was a barracks building in the 1800's. It is now a restaurant.
This is the Marshall House. Ever heard of the Marshall Plan (WWII)? General George C. Marshall lived here in the 1930's. It is such a pretty house. I love the porch. Myles and I think that the little porch area on the second floor would be great for watching the stars.
Having fun at the playground:
The leaves are changing color and falling. We had some beautiful sunsets this past week.
Chris helped teach Elsa how to paint her nails last Sunday evening, and then she was so brave to pull out her own tooth. She was so excited that she did it herself.
This was how we found Meg after we cleaned up the kitchen table and did dishes after church last Sunday.
This is the latest thing that cracks us up. The other day Meg went into Aeva's room, said "Well, well, well " and proceeded to sit down on Aeva's bed and look at her. Such a ham.
My second quilt is all stitched together. I need to get going on all the binding so it will be ready when I pick the four quilts up.

Monday, after Myles's speech appointment, I came home to a nice surprise. Rhaevyn, Aeva, and Elsa had swept the back patio of all the leaves. Then they said I was supposed to just sit outside, read a book, and enjoy a cup of warm tea. That is just what I did :)
Last night the older girls and I enjoyed the General Women's broadcast and then went out for a treat. I had a lot of fun with them!
This morning Elsa was such a little helper; washing, cutting and bagging up fruits and vegetables for snacks this coming week. We both enjoyed working together in the kitchen.
And now it's time to say goodbye and gear up for the coming week :)
I'll leave you with a link to one of our favorite songs at the moment. We play this a lot when we are all hanging out in the kitchen. In case you've never heard K-pop, you can now say that you have......


No comments:
Post a Comment