Sunday, September 11, 2016

Fall Pictures of the Kids and More

We always love looking back a few years to compare pictures and reminisce about life events or the particular outfit worn each time we do beginning of the school year pictures. It is so fascinating to see the changes in each child.
Let's start with Meg 2014-2016





































Elsa: Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade...















 Myles: 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade....





And my two High-Schoolers:

Aeva: 9th, 10th, and 11th........



We were laughing because Aeva couldn't decide what to do with her arms.
 Rhaevyn: 10th, 11th, and Senior!!!!
 
 
I should have waited a day for her braces to be off. Oh well.
 
It amazes me just how fast time goes. I feel like Rhaevyn was just starting kindergarten, and yet here we are with college and the idea that she may be spreading her wings and leaving us this time next year looming in the background. I read a quote the other day that said something to the affect of "As parents we do our best to raise children to leave home and be independent, but when the time comes to let them go it is so hard to let them fly. " The quote said it better than I can, but it is so true. I am so glad that the girls want to go and fly, and have confidence that they can do so, but my goodness when it is staring you in the face it is so hard to smile and let it happen. At least I have another 10 plus months.  For now I will just enjoy my time with Rhaevyn and soak it all in; drink every last drop up!

I've been contemplating lately that:
Meg is, by far, my most independent child of all. And yet, she is my one that wants to "nuggle" all the time. She is a combination of Aeva and Elsa. She's my little spitfire, and I love her for it. 
Elsa has become my little chatterbox with one question leading to another, and another, and another. 
I have to stop her after a while, especially in the car, so that the other kids can get a word in edgewise. I'm not sure I've ever had one quite so talkative and so full of questions. 
Myles is our thinker and is forever asking the deepest questions. He keeps me on my toes. He is my little gentleman; opening my car door so I can get in and hopping out when I park so he can help me out of the car. Every time he hugs me I'm well aware that I won't be taller then him for much longer.
Aeva keeps me real. I love that she plays the piano for me and is always willing to find the songs I really like (Ken Burns Civil War). She has become my hugger as of late, which she has not always been. She's just on the verge of the fine line that Rhaevyn is on.
Rhaevyn is definitely on that fine line of still being my child and at the same time turning into a very dear friend; still my hugger and I love that!
It is so fascinating to me the ever evolving relationship between each child and myself.
Rhaevyn got her braces off on Tuesday morning. I guess I thought it would be the day she got her retainers, but they do things a bit different than Aeva's orthodontist. Beautiful smile for my beautiful girl. She wasn't going to let me take a picture, but I told her "no picture, no ice cream." As you can see I got my picture.

Also, the sweet lady that is stitching my quilts together finished the first one! Super exciting!!

On the machine and ready to go.....

 
  I love this stitch that she used.

    Complete.............now for binding.
 
































The kids and I went through my hope chest the other day. It was really a lot of fun to walk down memory lane with them. I've been toying with donating my wedding dress to someone who makes dresses for stillborn babies. Aeva wanted to try it on. Meg and Elsa thought it was so neat to see it on her. Meg kept repeating "Princess, princess!" And squealing with delight. Chris, Aeva, Rhaevyn, and I were laughing at how 90's it is with the bows and puffy sleeves.
I also found this dress that Shelley Hughes (Fiori) made for me when I was little. I had forgotten I still had it. I sent her this picture on Facebook.
Our Ward put on a talent show last night with a cookie bake off. Myles made these Jam Thumbprints entirely by himself, using homemade apricot jam. He won for most creative. They were very yummy!
 Elsa taking care of getting Meg's helmet on. She's like Meg's third or fourth mommy.
 Aeva was out the other day helping Meg learn to pedal on the tricycle. And she's doing it!!!

 This tricycle has gone through five kids; a bit squeaky but still going :)
 
Our first week of school is done. It went rather well despite all the other things we had going. The girls started their math this past week. This week they start seminary, and then their school classes begin next week. It's nice that they are able to ease into things.

Fall is somewhere in the air, but we are still having warm temperatures. I think we are all ready for the cool crisp air to descend with the swirling of red, gold, and orange leaves and the smell of pumpkin spice.

No comments: