Sunday, November 1, 2015

Goodbye October

October was wrapped up with the completion of two quilts and five just needing to have the binding sewn on. I'm sure my sweet friend will be happy to have me out of her hair for a while. She was so sweet to let me come put together six quilts in two weeks, and she even gave me batting for one of them. Her machine can be finicky at times. It may sound silly, but I've learned to start each quilt with a prayer. I didn't do that on the last quilt I did over at her house and had to rip out two rows of stippling. Before I started for the second time I made sure I said a prayer. This is the one that is completed. I finished it up yesterday. I think it is my new favorite. I just love the colors, and I even went out on a limb with the binding. I picked out something with similar coloring to the dark blue in the quilt blocks, but that was not in the same family pattern.

 
 
 
 I have been wanting to make a rag quilt to use up my scraps of batting. I wanted them put to use instead of just throwing them out. There are so many different instructions out there for a rag quilt; there really doesn't seem to be any consistency. I went with my gut for the most part as I put it together. I love the colors I used, but am not overly thrilled with how it turned out. It wasn't a waste, as I have learned a lot from doing this one. I know what I will do differently for the next rag quilt.
 

 
 

 Four of us got haircuts this week. Our sweet, and favorite, hairdresser is about to take a haitus. She's having a baby and was sweet to get us in at the very last possible minute :) I think Elsa is beyond thrilled because she has been asking for months to have her hair bobbed. I couldn't believe how much hair came from Myles. It was getting quite long. Aeva went bold with an asymmetrical cut. She says she likes it short because she doesn't want to spend a lot of time, or rather she doesn't "have" time to spend on her hair.


Aeva made a cute Halloween card for her seminary teacher.


Here are my little, and not so little, goblins all dressed up for Halloween. Rhaevyn went over to a friend's house and went trick-or-treating with her. They played some games and then were treated to Baskin and Robbins ice cream. Aeva opted not to go trick-or-treating. She just wanted to hand out candy. This was Meg's first year to go trick-or-treating. We took her to three houses and then brought her home. Myles and Elsa made it almost an hour. They decided a nice warm shower and hot cocoa sounded better than being out in the deluge. We had over an inch and half of rain yesterday, and most of it seemed to come in the form of a down pour.

In true Whovian style Rhaevyn was Osgood from Dr. Who. She spent quite some time making the scarf. Chris made her the inhaler at work on the 3D printer.  I think she matched the character nicely.





Myles wanted to be the old man character that Stephen plays on Studio C, but in the end was more like a newspaper delivery boy. I didn't get him with his newpaper bag, but he looked the part nicely.



Aeva was a manga character who likes to clean. She made her cloak, but Rhaevyn embroidered the back.
 

 
 Elsa was Glinda from Wicked.
 
 Meg was a puppy. This outfit has been worn by all the kids. Rhaevyn and Aeva wore this for their first Halloween, but they were bears. When it was Myles's first Halloween I had bought the cute puppy hat, so he was a puppy (as was Elsa).
I had just finished taking Elsa's picture, and Meg was trying to hold out her pj's like Elsa held out her dress. 
 
 
  Here are the group pictures.
 Here are just two random pictures of me with two of my munchkins.
 Welcome, welcome November!

No comments: