Sunday, October 25, 2015

Quilts, Ben and Stacey, and a Japanese Dinner for Seven

 I've been thinking a lot lately about the quilt I received from the hospital. I had kept it hidden away in my hope chest for about 5 months. I would take it out occasionally just to run my hand over it and cry. I had remarked to my best friend several months back that I didn't really feel like it was a very pretty quilt. It wasn't specifically made for a mother who just lost her baby. She said something that I will never forget. She told me that I may feel that way, but that I was given the "right" quilt. That quilt was meant just for me. It is the quilt that started me thinking about mothers of angel babies receiving beautiful quilts specific to their loss. I look at this quilt differently now. I finally was able to get to the point where I was ready to bring it out of its hiding place, to use it, to look at it and not cry, to cherish it. Now it drapes over the couch ready for any one of us to use.  It is a pretty quilt; I know that someone made it with a lot of love, and it's a quilt that tells a story.
Last Sunday I received a very nice surprise. A sweet friend, whose dad made three quilts for my project, had him make me a very special quilt of my own for reasons beyond losing my baby. I was telling my friend that it makes me smile whenever I walk in my room because of the sweet story that it tells.


We have two squirrels who romp about our backyard and run along our back fence. We love watching them take big leaps from the fence to the tree in our neighbor's yard and then scamper up to the tip top of the branches. Myles tried to catch a picture of one of them. They provide a lot of entertainment while schoolwork is being done.


Friday evening Ben and Stacey came to visit. I knew they were coming, but I didn't tell anyone else (except for Rhaevyn). Everyone was surprised when they showed up on our door step. Meg enjoyed lots of hug time with them and even took a nap with Stacey. Ben spent some time building Legos with Myles.









Today was the Primary Program for our ward. Elsa memorized the Sixth Article of Faith. She has been singing it the past two weeks at home, but she was able to say it without having to sing it today. Myles gave a two minute talk comparing the signs Pharaoh was given and the story of the widow who made food for Elijah., and how signs don't build a testimony if you don't already have faith. It was a wonderful program topped off with the song Gethsemane.
Aeva cooked a Japanese dish for dinner tonight. She was pretty excited about it and did it all herself. It had rice, chicken, potatoes, onions, carrots, and curry. She got a thumbs up from everyone. I'm trying to talk Rhaevyn into cooking a Korean dish for us next.




Halloween is up next!

No comments: