Monday, April 16, 2018

Cello songs, Rhaevyn's Birthday, and a New Driver

It was the first week of spring quarter. There will be an adjustment period for us all, but especially for me with the driving schedule, carpooling, and homeschooling the littles. I'm trying to decide what to do on Mondays and Wednesdays, as this is a carpooling day for the ride home and Aeva doesn't want to carry her guitar around all day for fear it will get damaged. For now we wait an hour down at Officers Row reading and taking a walk. This won't be bad when the weather starts getting better, provided it isn't freezing at 8am.

The girls seem to like all their classes and teachers this quarter. I really love the Rate My Professor site!!! It is extremely helpful when deciding on classes. I wish that site had been around in my day. Here is Rhaevyn off to her Women's Choral Ensemble class wearing the shirt that the choir members had to wear in Canada.

 
And I now have another driver!!!! I gained two drivers in a matter of a week's time. It is a really odd feeling to have two drivers who can run errands for me. It's definitely going to take some getting used to. Aeva this past week dropped Myles off at a friend's house, took Myles and Rhaevyn to Walmart, went on her own to the used book store in town, and took Myles and Elsa to the library and an antique store in town. I think it is funny that she, previously, could have been just fine having me chauffeur her around. Now that she has her license she really  loves to drive 😀


 

Myles is growing a fern and a tree (not sure what kind except that it grows white blossoms). His avocado is still going strong (the root is now 3 inches long).



 

 Elsa loved her first week of violin practice and lesson. She likes to try and get it out of its case several times a day. I had to actually limit her so that everyone else had time to practice their instruments too.

Rhaevyn turned 19!! Chris joked that next year she will be Rhaevyn 2.0
Myles wrapped his present for her in several layers of packaging. He got her a cow figurine. She loves cows. Her favorite breed is the Highland, but they didn't have a figurine like that at the feed store. Myles picked the next cutest one.
Rhaevyn had to unwrap each bag that was secured by lots of packing tape to get to her present.
She opted to make her own birthday dessert. We could not find decent peaches, and she didn't want to use frozen ones, so she used nectarines instead.........................Her nectarine and blueberry pie was positively scrummy!

 

 
 

She got a handmade seam ripper:

 



Her very own card game so she can take it whenever and whereever she wants: 5 Crowns

 I got her her favorite scent at Bath and Body: Rose Quartz. She has her own perfume, body wash, and lotion in that scent. I don't have to share mine 😊

 

I offered Chris to include him in my gift giving, but true to his style he wanted to get Rhaevyn something that was uniquely from him, something he had put his own thought into. She didn't get her present from him until Saturday, and she agreed to pay half of the cost.  She has been looking at Mandolins for a while, and Chris found her this Kentucky mandolin. When new it sells for around $500, used is $250. We talked the guy into $85, which wasn't a bad price to split in half. Rhaevyn already purchased a music book and has started playing it. The two instruments, violin and mandolin, are similar. They have nearly the same scale, and are tuned the same. The mandolin has two strings tuned in unison for every string on a violin.


Our corner in the living room for instruments is rapidly growing!!!!

Myles wanted to play a duet with me. I am not that great or fast at playing the piano, so I picked the easiest thing that I could.
 Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.



Myles is teaching himself to play I Am A Child of God. I am a bit slower playing it on the piano. My goal is to practice it and be proficient at playing it so that he and I can play it together.



This is my new favorite meal: Fresh Brussels Sprouts and Kielbasa
Myles hid his tomato rock on our walk Wednesday morning.


Myles wanted burrito bowls this week. This is his beautiful scrumptious creation
My Miss Meg: Brushing her teeth and getting ready for the day. Rhaevyn did her hair.




My favorite quote this week comes from Elsa:
Saturday we went to a wedding reception and she asked if she could go.
"I'm not asking to go for the food. I am going to show support because that's what you do when you go to a reception. You go to show support for the new married people, not to just to eat the good food that is there."
Myles finished his dragon coloring book picture:

Elsa caught a picture of this gorgeous rainbow Thursday evening. There was actually a double rainbow and this one was a full arch.

Thursday evening I took Elsa to her first Scottish Country Dance class. Pretty much everyone in the class is over 40/50. I joined in with her, and our first lesson was free. It was a lot to remember and grasp, but everyone was so very patient and supportive. One lady gave her a reassuring pep talk during class because Elsa was stressing out a bit. Afterwards they all told her that they were in her shoes once a upon a time; just starting out and messing up. They told her how well she did for her first class. She can hardly wait to go back next week and already has her outfit picked out.

This upcoming week will be an interesting one. I'll be juggling the schedule on my own, as Chris is taking a little trip to see his mom. I'm glad I have some extra drivers because they will be put to work this week helping drop off/pick up Myles from scouts while I have Elsa at her dance class, and they will be driving to school twice this week since I will be taking Chris to the airport one of those days and the other day Aeva wants to stay late for the Cherry Blossom Festival at school. We have been invited to "Korean Night" on Wednesday at a friend's house. That should be fun! 
So, here we go, on to this week's adventures!

No comments: