Sunday, April 29, 2018

A Week Without Chris







































Our week went smoothly, for the most part, which was very nice since Chris was out of town visiting his mom. There were a few minor hiccups, but nothing that we couldn't handle by pulling together to help each other out. 
BUT MYLES IS THE ONLY CHILD THAT WOULD BEHAVE ...HE IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!
Ha ha ha!  And that is what  happens when I leave my blog post up.
Actually each one of them were really wonderful helpers all week long 😊

Aeva has been driving herself to seminary, which has been a really great thing. Monday started out with the car making a weird noise as Aeva got a block from our house. I heard the front key turn in the lock and jumped out of bed. Blurry eyed I threw on my glasses and shoes, grabbed my purse, and ran out the door to drive her in the Suburban to seminary. She was about three minutes late, which she did not like because she is usually 10 minutes early. I came home and drove the Volvo around for a few minutes and could not get it to replicate the "weird" noise. It ran fine the rest of the week, so we aren't sure what was happening when Aeva drove it. Luckily, Chris was still home at that point so I had him check it before he left
Myles drew us some nice dragon art in the driveway.



Tuesday I dropped Chris off at the airport bright and early. The girls drove themselves to school and home. I feel like I held my breath all day long until they got home safe and sound. The littles made orange juice:
 

Wednesday we had Korean night at the Bennett's. We've known them since we moved into the ward 22 years ago. They moved into the ward just a year or two before us. Brother Bennett served his mission in Korea in the 60's. We've talked about having a Korean dinner night for over a year now, and we both finally made it happen. He made fantastic Korean food, we all got to try on his traditional Korean dress that he brought back, and Rheavyn made a pie for dessert. It was such a lovely evening for sure!











 
Thursday was my hectic day. The girls drove to school, and then I brought the little kids around 1pm to the Japanese Sakura Festival. Rhaevyn was singing two songs for the festival with the Women's Choral Ensemble, but I missed seeing and hearing her because I had not realized they were performing outside by the Cherry Blossom Trees and not in the auditorium. We did get to hear Aeva introduce a dancer, who incidentally taught her the Japanese dance last year. I learned that the lady had been dancing since the age of two and had earned great recognition. She is from Osaka, I believe. 
 

 We stayed to hear a bit of the Taiko drums. I think the kids love this part the most. I don't know what happened to the part I recorded, but this link takes you to the particular drumming we got to watch, although from Portland last year.
 
The little kids got to do calligraphy and origami. I met Aeva's very first Japanese teacher Okahara Sensei. She was very sweet. 
Elsa did her name and the word flower, and Myles did his name.  
 

 

 There were Sakura Cookies:

 

 

 Aeva stayed later to visit and help clean up because it is her last year at Clark for this festival. She ended up driving herself home. When she left she said to the others" I'm leaving before you", which apparently something they say over in Japan. And of course she said it in Japanese because a majority of those there were all sweet ladies from Japan. They were all astonished and surprised because, well,  it was very "Japanese. "

 Thursday night ended up being a bit hectic, and I realized I just needed to take one thing off of my plate since I had one less set of  hands and one less driver. I was glad Aeva felt comfortable saying she could not drive Myles to and from scouts because she was extremely sleepy. She was actually heading off to bed early. That left me without a helper for Meg if I had Rhaevyn take him. I realized that there was no need to be frazzled or stressed trying to get Myles to scouts and Elsa to her dance class. Unfortunately, Elsa is the one that had to give up her dancing for the night. Liz, the Scottish Country Dance teacher emailed to see if we'd been scared off. I reassured her that Elsa was in tears that she could not go, but I was down a helper, and we would absolutely be there the next week. 

Friday was probably my easiest day! I dropped Rhaevyn off at school, ran to the bank, got Meg updated on her last two immunizations, and then picked up Rhaeyn. On the way home Meg got a blizzard from DQ. I had told her the night before that she would be getting shots, but if all went well and there was no screaming I'd get her an ice cream. I admit I am not above bribery.
She was positively brave getting her shots. She walked in, rolled up her sleeve, and handed her arm over to the nurse. I think he was so surprised! I know I was. She held my hand, put her head in my lap, and didn't even cry. She was happy to get a My  Little Pony band-aid and kept asking when we were going to get ice cream?
 
 The house got cleaned and the laundry done in time for Saturday. Friday night Rheavyn and I treated the kids to Panda Express. It was quite funny, I am sure, to have watched me divvy up two plates of food onto five plates.They were good sports to share the food.

The kids were so very excited to pick Chris up from the airport. It was a circus when he called home each night as everyone wanted to talk to him at once. Aeva said she couldn't wait for him to be home because it was really boring without him. He does make us laugh 😋 
They loved getting updates and pictures from him throughout the week as well as telling them their news of the day.

These were taken on one of his walks in his mom's neighborhood. 


He said his mom's new dog was moving in on Molly's territory, and he would gladly trade dogs. I told him that is what you get when you pay for a dog vs a free dog; a nice dog. I seriously wonder if our dog was free because she is so persnickety and mean sometimes. 😋 But seriously, some of us really do love Molly.

He had a lot of good food:
 

 

 
 

He enjoyed getting to visit with his mom, two of his brothers, nephews, and my parents although his time was very brief .


Saturday we picked Chris up a bit late, as I think his flight came in a bit early. Getting everyone out the door and gassing up the car proved to be a bit more difficult than I had planned. I dropped Chris off at home, went to clean, and then had a night out with my friend, Jill. I had brought Meg to clean with me, as she was going to have a play date with two other littles, but we had not realized plans had changed. She got to have Linda, all to herself. She went on a walk to get the mail, went to the playground, got to pet the kitties and the doggy, and then sat and ate animal crackers watching Danial Tiger while Linda did her cross-stitch. It was very sweet to see this:

Jill and I had fun trying out all the couches in Macy's, window shopping, and catching up on our news from the last time we had gotten out together. This week was definitely a week where I took note of just how extremely blessed I am.
The girls both received a letter in the mail from the college. They both made the vice presidents lists at school again. I didn't realize this, but apparently only a small percentage of students actually make that list each quarter.  Out of roughly 12 thousand students only about one thousand make the list. I don't think they seemed very excited about it, but I was very happy for them 👍
We are enjoying really beautiful weather here this week. I am realizing that things are starting to wind down: school and seminary.  But pretty soon it will be time to start thinking of all the "to do's" that will need to be done before the end of August arrives.
That is all for now; the end.

No comments: