Sunday, September 17, 2017

First Cello Recital and a Camp out

It was a big week for Myles. Sunday he had his first cello recital. He did great! He had a lot of pep talks from his teacher and me. I have to say, his teacher is wonderful; I can see why he enjoys his lessons with her. She is so positive and encouraging! I'm happy he's found something he loves to do and a talent that he is learning to grow. On Wednesday he met with his new 11 year old scout group. They seem to be a great group of boys and the Leaders are super involved and on top of activities and camp outs. There was a camp out on Friday. It was up at Blue Lake which is near Mt. St. Helens. There was a bit of a hike into camp, but Myles was a trooper. Tents were set up at dusk. Some fishing was done Saturday, and the scouts got to eat trout. Myles thought it tasted really good. The scouts also picked mushrooms (Hen of the Woods), and the leader knows three people who buy that particular kind. It looks like they may have earned some money. Myles had a great time on the camp out. The only snafu was when they arrived back in town. Myles has a tendency to get car sick, and my poor guy asked for the window to be rolled down for air but alas no one heard him. He got sick. Luckily it was just on himself, and he was going to be coming right home (within 15 minutes). They traveled on a winding road,  and he was in the very back of a Suburban. I know I can relate with coming back from girls camp as a teenager. I barely made it out of the van I was in.


Pancakes for breakfast.






Here are pictures from the cello recital. Cello recitalists ranged from the age of 11-60 years old.

Myles pictured with his teacher. She and her husband not only teach cello and violin, but they are in three different orchestras. Meg decided she needed to be in the picture with Myles and his teacher Annie.
Myles made a blueberry snowman this week.
Meg snuggling up with Aeva and Molly.
Aeva has been asked to play for Sacrament meeting on the fifth Sunday of each month. She gets to play the piano, but we are trying to talk her into getting back into playing the organ. She is the pianist for her seminary class as well.
The kids had eye appts this week. They all did fabulous. Everyone's eyesight improved from last year. Yay!! No one needed new glasses. Meg was a bit upset because her last no lens frames broke, and she was sad to learn she would not be needing glasses. We took a pair of Aeva's old glasses and took the lenses out so that it would feel like she was getting a new pair. Meg was a happy camper about that.



It is the last week before the girls start their classes at the college. Rhaevyn is a bit nervous about her theory, ear training, and math classes, but she is super excited about her volleyball class. Orchestra started back up, and Rhaevyn is happy about that except that the concert-mistress will be out of town for a bit so she gets be the substitute. Aeva is super excited for Japanese to start :)
Saturday we are all going to visit the Japanese Market. All the kids are excited about that. It's like going on a new adventure for the little kids.
Here is Myles's recital performance.
I have been following Sweet Grace Ministries. They help families who have gone through the loss of a baby. They recently shared a short documentary that was done in Canada. It is very touching and beautifully done, and I think it conveys great insight on what it means to families and the heartache that families go through when they experience a loss; how that changes them and makes them the person they become/are. If you are interested in watching it click on the link below.

https://vimeo.com/194173778


Lastly I have to talk quilts. The sweet lady that puts mine together just made a quilt for my project. She does beautiful long-arm free motion quilting. My heart is bursting, and I am so grateful that she would do this, as she already does the quilts I make for free. She just has to finish up the binding.

 


 I just started cutting out material for my next quilt. I am going to attempt a disappearing nine patch quilt. I am a little nervous because I am strictly working from scraps on this one.
Here is an idea of what that pattern is like. I love watching video tutorials from the Missouri Star Quilt Company:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEjZOXxPazg&feature=share

And now it's time to say goodbye.

No comments: