Sunday, February 21, 2016

Quilts and Baby Magic


We had quite the fun and productive week. I was able to get to all three of my projects! That certainly was a good feeling.

I started and finished my quilt top for the second quilting class I have this Tuesday. I even got the binding ready too.


My second project: skirts for Elsa and Meg. A friend was  getting rid of some material, and Elsa really like the purple grape fabric. There was enough to make the two of them matching skirts.

Lastly, it was time to start working on the quilt Elsa wanted to make. She did a really good job sewing squares together for a pinwheel quilt. She was cracking me up while I was watching her sew just because she kept reassuring me that "Okay, okay, I've got it, Mom.". Unfortunately, when we put the fabric out in the pinwheel pattern I had left over squares, and it wouldn't quite be big enough. So, I talked her into this pattern. She has graciously, but hesitantly, agreed to it.



Meg, earlier this week, decided to come in and rearrange the clean plates in the dishwasher. Then she took the utensil basket and put the forks, spoons, and knives away as I sat watching her. I giggled inside while telling her what a good job she did. Love my little helper.

Poor Meg was wiped out the other day and fell asleep sitting up. We finally saw that she had fallen asleep, and that her head kept bobbing against the couch, so we made her more comfortable. 



We decided to get her a little potty two weeks ago. She likes to try and go before she has a bath or shower, but we thought if she was really interested it might be better if she had one she could sit on without help from us. She didn't seem too interested, which was fine. However,  last night she sat on her potty and went all by herself. Except for going to church today, she had a dry diaper and kept using her potty. Kind of exciting!


While I was sewing the quilt top on Monday, Miss Elsa was so cute to load the dishwasher for me and start it. She did it twice that day. I loved our conversation as I sat sewing and she did the dishes.

I got a bee in my bonnet for room rearranging yesterday. We ended up taking Rhaevyn and Aeva's bunk bed apart. Aeva said she was ready to move back to the trundle anyway. I think both rooms have been brightened up a bit with both bunk beds gone. We are looking into making a trundle for Myles' room. For right now he just pulls the mattress out at night and pushes it in when he wakes up.
I even found a use for the bunk bed ladder!


 
Monday we had fun learning about the history of President's day, and PE this week involved learning the Charleston. The kids had a lot of fun learning that (plus a good workout), and Miss Elsa has it down pretty good. Elsa wants to learn square dancing next.

Myles was out helping Chris cut pipe for the rear suspension on the VW bug. He measured, cut, and tacked (welded) it in place. Chris took him to a fencing group on Saturday. He really enjoyed that and can't wait to go back. Rhaevyn was super excited for him.
Friday we got to watch this cute little fellow for two hours. His mom is one of the sisters that I visit teach, and she does all of our haircuts. It was like Christmas morning here! There is absolutely something magical about little babies. Everyone wanted a turn to hold him. Rheavyn rocked him to sleep, and then she handed him off to Aeva who snuggled with him until he woke up. He got a bit upset. I think he just hadn't finished his nap. Poor Elsa and Meg were upset that he was so upset. Once he calmed down he was able to fall back asleep. I thought maybe Miss Meg wouldn't like that I was holding him instead of her, but she just wanted me to put him at her level so she could keep kissing the top of his head. I think we all needed a little baby magic and got our fix.



I can hardly believe we are almost to March, which will be an exciting month because Rhaevyn has her first violin student :)

No comments: