Thursday, November 19, 2009

My Soccer Boy

Ever since Myles received a soccer ball, shin guards, soccer shorts and cleats he has loved donning the outfit and kicking his ball around.
The weather has been pretty blustery and wet, as of late, and that means being cooped up in the house most of the time. This is when I truly notice a difference between "the boy" and "the girls." He is not content to sit around reading a book or coloring for very long. He would rather be running around, and that means jumping off the couch onto the ottoman, jumping from the ottoman to the couch, jumping off the piano bench, etc., etc. I think you get the picture. He is all boy.

About two weeks ago I just happened to see an add/coupon in a booklet that came in the mail for an indoor soccer arena. Chris and I decided this would probably be a good idea for Myles so that he could run around, kick a soccer ball, or two, or ten and use up some of his pent up energy. So, we bit the bullet, or the price tag so to speak, and signed him up.

Tuesday was his first class. Oh how I wish you all could have seen him in person. I know I am biased, but man was he ever cute running around the field kicking and chasing the ball, and dribbling the ball (I think that is correct, I am not a soccer guru by any means). There are only three other kids in his class, so it is nice and small. I am glad.

He was so excited during class that he kept running over to fill me in on what his class was doing next. They played a game called "Wake up Fred!" The kids kicked their ball a short distance against the wall to wake up a mouse living on the other side of the wall. He refused to play this game. Apparently he thinks the mouse is real. He doesn't want to wake up Fred. He would rather hold him. I tried explaining that it was just a game and there is no Fred, but he didn't believe me. I think his favorite game was the hippo game. It was at the end of class and they just kick balls into the small semicircular nets. Again, I am biased, but he looked like this was nothing new to him and got the ball in the goal about 97% of the time. He would put the ball down, back up from it a bit, and then run full force at the ball and kick it. Then he would raise both arms up in victory.


Here are two small video clips of him running around the field just before class started.

Myles got two stamps, one on each hand, of a bunny rabbit. He is in the Hoppers class.
He didn't want to take a bath when he got home because he didn't want them to wash off.
I love it, he loves it, soccer life is fun so far.
The best thing is I don't get wet watching him,
and he doesn't get wet while he plays because it is indoor.
Yeah!

No comments: