Sunday, November 12, 2017

Bye Bye October -- Howdy November


 We had a really fun science lesson on the bones in the human hand, and afterwards we did an art project to go along with it. It was supposed to resemble what the human hand looks like in an x-ray.
 
 

It was hard to see the effect unless I took a black and white photo.

 Rhaevyn made Myles a "Jake the Dog". He turned out so cute.

 Meg and Chris had some daddy daughter time last week. He painted her fingernails and toenails.
 
 We've been doing some sewing over the last couple of days. I've had a really cute piece of fabric for over a year, and I have been trying to decide what I wanted to do with it. I finally decided I wanted to make pajama pants for Meg. I found a free online pattern with a tutorial. It was actually pretty easy to follow. I made a sample pair to start with. I think Meg could have kept the pants up without elastic. Even though I made a size 4, it seemed a bit snug.
I took the free online pattern and a summer pants pattern I had for size 6+ and put them together to make my own pattern. I am really happy with how they turned out. I bought a white shirt and put little monkeys on it with a red bow. The entire project was not without a few snafus, but all in all I would call it a success. I hope Meg loves her Christmas present. Best of all was the fact that I only invested $5 in this whole project.






I did my best to zig-zag around the edges so that the little monkeys would not come up after washing. It was pretty tricky since they are quite small. Although I had tried to make sure the back of the shirt remained clear of the needle, I somehow still managed to sew a small piece to the front. I got that taken care of, but it looked like there could be a potential hole. I then put a monkey on the back to take care of that.

 

Thursday night I taught my Miamaid class at church to make therapy bags. I had a bunch of flannel fabric laying around to use for the class activity. I bought some flax seed, and a sweet lady at church let me take all her essential oils for the girls to use. I got home and made one for Rhaevyn, one for Aeva, and two for one of the girls who was unable to come to the activity.

Saturday evening I made five more therapy bags. We have therapy bags of various scents: melon, peppermint, rose, lavender & lilies, and just plain lavender. Everyone has a bag!

Rhaevyn and Aeva have been making little pencil bags. I love the cute vintage Campbell's Soup fabric Aeva found (girls night at the craft store), and  I really love the color (and bunnies) of the fabric Rhaevyn picked out for hers.
 
 Myles spent Friday over at Sister Lee's house and made this monkey for Meg's Christmas present. He gave it blue button eyes because Meg has blue eyes, and he picked out a fabric flower to sew onto the head. He did the whole thing all by himself! I just helped him make the skirt.

 
Last night the girls, my dear friend (Jill), and I went to a craft store event. It was a big sale with fun games and things to make and take. Aeva won a $5 gift card while we were in line waiting to get in. I made a free card, and I found some wood Christmas ornaments/craft paper to Mod podge to them for a YW activity at church next month. It was a fun girls night out!

 Random pictures of Meg:

She wanted her hair up in a towel just like me the other morning. It didn't last long since it was pretty heavy on that little head of hers.
 Here she is in one of her many outfits of the day dancing and just being Meg :)


 This is a cute little fairy house that Aeva made. Myles made her the rug out of yarn for the little house.

I can't believe that Thanksgiving is just around the corner and finals are fast approaching for the girls. Registration for winter quarter is this week. Fingers crossed that they get all the classes they want. The colder weather has definitely settled in. Myles is earning a dollar for every morning he has to go out and scrape the car windows on the mornings we take both girls to Clark. So far he has earned $3. He is using the money to get his sisters each a Christmas present.
Now that I think I've caught up on the news around here I'll call it a night.

No comments: