Sunday, April 24, 2016

Permits, Pigtails, and Pillowcases

Life has been busy, and there hasn't been much time to photographically document it all.
There is so much going on that my calendar boxes don't seem big enough to hold all the tasks for each day.
We are winding down with school subjects. I'm at the point where I've marked, with sticky notes, how much is left of each subject and how many weeks we have until we are finished, except with Math. I prefer to keep that going. And we are trying to decide what the girls are doing for next year.
I've been researching and making notes of what to get for the summer and next year.

Meg's new pastime is squeezing into small cubbyholes around the house and hiding herself inside pillow cases. She likes to try and roam the house inside a pillowcase or pretend she is in a gunny sack race.


I made her a new blanket. She likes to make sure her feet are covered by her blanket when I rock her, but she is getting so tall that this just is almost impossible now. Her blanket was getting holes in it, so I whipped up a new one a week ago. It's not fancy, but boy is it soft and cuddly and big! I even used some of the minky from her old blanket in her new one.
 Here she is collapsed on a pile of Legos we were sifting through. We were trying to put bigger parts in one bin, smaller parts in a another, and minifigs in yet another container.
I put her in pigtails for the first time. And this is the first time I have not had to curl pigtails with a curling iron.



Myles is getting his pinewood derby car ready. He is trying to do a 1920's race car style this year.
He also started speech to fix his "s" sound. Last Monday was his first appointment. Although he had is doubts and wasn't looking forward to going, he ended up loving it. He has been anxiously looking forward to the next appointment and diligently working on the homework his speech therapist gave him.
Oh, he found a nest with eggs under our trampoline. Chris was mowing the lawn, which had grown quite long, and ran over the nest. Myles was so distraught that the parents had not returned by the next day and the little birds (eggs) were not going to survive. We used the opportunity to do some research online and talk about how things like this happen in nature. As sad as it is, it does happen. My little guy has such a tender heart.

 We've had some beautiful weather this past week. Myles, Elsa, and Meg spent quite a few days out on the trampoline with the sprinkler going. Lots of squeals of delight could be heard.


 Aeva decided to sew Thursday evening. She made a Popsicle and some type of Japanese food (onigiri) from felt. They are very anime looking. When she had finished them she had the food items talking to each other in Japanese. It was quite entertaining.
Rhaevyn had her date with Chris yesterday. They went to the Korean Market again, and she came home with some loot: mochi, Korean potato chips, Pepero (cookie stick), Korean vanilla wafers, and a soda drink (soda + milk), which our home teacher (who served his mission in Korea) recommended. She even bought Myles some Korean Ramen. He didn't get to each much of it because his mouth was on fire! She decided to try Aeva's favorite Japanese Crepe place on her date as well. She was pretty excited that she could understand quite a bit of Korean that was being spoken at the market.
Oh, Chris and I  surprised her with her very own Korean Book of Mormon.
The first Saturday of May she has her first orchestra stint.

This is Myles's meal: Spicy Kimchi Ramen with his new bowl that Chris got him.

 
Aeva and Elsa got haircuts on Tuesday. Sorry, no picture yet, but they look super cute.

Yesterday I decided it was chalk and bubble time :)
Myles drew me a picture of the sunset and an island. 



The girls have their permits!!! That was a fun trek to the DOL for all of us . I didn't really know what I was doing, so I couldn't help the girls much. It is so different from when I got my permit, and even different then when I got my license here in Washington. The day after getting her permit, Rhaevyn was learning to drive a manual transmission. She made it as far as some of the streets in our neighborhood. Aeva is having a tough time because she is so short. Her left leg can't quite reach to push the clutch in all the way. I took them both over to drive in the school parking lot, and I let Rhaevyn drive the suburban through her violin teacher's neighborhood. I seriously have a greater appreciation for my mother teaching me. I always loved how patient she was, but having the shoe on the other foot is eye opening. Rhaevyn and I were both laughing at one point because I blurted out "Oh my gosh! Is this what it was like when I was learning to drive???!!!!"
The girls started their driver's ed class. I'll admit, after the parent meeting that Chris and I attended, I was ready to just drive them around forever. The stark truth of how many teen drivers die a year in car accidents was a rude awakening. My brain knows it's not realistic,  but my heart was willing to be a chauffeur for them for a long time to come.
Lastly, I have to giggle at these pictures. I teach the 14 and 15 year old Sunday School class at church. Although I have my Sundays, they usually are a really great group to teach. I think most of the time they teach me more than I teach them, and they often surprise me with their questions and their answers. I have one student that is a gentle giant. At the end of class I make it a point to hug all the girls and shake hands with all the boys and let them know how much I appreciate their participation and how I love having them in class. This one boy never shakes my hand. He always puts one arm around my shoulder. We took a picture together today because I am always reminded of my shortness when he does this. In the first picture he was bending down a bit, but in the second one he straightened up to his full height.



And the wheel keeps turning so this little hamster keeps running :)

No comments: