Monday, July 15, 2013

Seattle To Portland

Just got some pictures from the Seattle to Portland bike ride that Chris did with a group of about 10 guys from our Stake/Ward. They have all been training together for the past several months.
I must say, that while I am glad it is over, I'm so proud of Chris for doing it. He made the 200 mile ride in one day.
He and his group left Friday afternoon for the Seattle area. A guy from our ward made a huge lasagna for them to fill them up on the night before. Ben and Stacey were gracious enough to let them camp out at their house, and then they were off early Saturday morning..............leaving the starting line around 5 am.
Chris called me from Centralia at 12:30, which is about an hour an half drive by car from our home.
At 5:30 pm he called to tell me he was 30 miles from Portland, and at 7 pm, as I was dropping Rhaevyn off at a church dance, he called to tell me he had crossed the finish line.
As I pulled these pictures from our bishop's email to all the riders in their group, it was really neat to read all the responses.............how they all were so supportive of each other and happy for the support that they got from one another and couldn't believe that the ride was over.
Only one of their team did not make it. He had gotten two flat tires and then at mile 80 had gone down. He ended up with a broken clavicle and his helmet was toast. Scary..............and I am so glad Chris made it home safe and sound.

 Chris is the 5th one back in this picture..........almost the last one.
 That is not Chris at the finish line, but I wanted to put it up anyway. It was neat to see all the people that line the whole street leading to the finish line. Chris said they all stick their hands out to give the riders a high five. Pretty neat!


No comments: